Spirituality is one of those words associated with sooooo many different ideas right?..The familiar ones include the practice of meditation, prayer, and surrounding one’s self with nature…On I could go
My Dad is a really spiritual guy so I grew up with more of an idea than most, as to what spirituality means; but my relationship with it was transformed when I felt and experienced a delivery of love into my heart. Truly life changing love…God’s Love
My Spiritual attitude is ever evolving; as I grow I’m sure it will continue to change well into the future. This is where I’m currently at in my outlooks and ideas about what everyday spirituality means for me
1. My mentality (to a large extent) is ‘Live and let live’…Basically, I believe we are all on our own paths, and only God and I know me, and the same goes for everyone else…Only God and you know you. You are the only one who can influence your path. It is not up to me to interfere with the spiritual journey of another, unless invited
2. I am learning to tell the truth when I most want to lie. This helps me to show those around me who I am, even though I bloody despise doing this when my self-expression is negative. But, when I do it, I honor my own worth and boundaries, not to mention my dysfunctional idiosyncracies (love thyself, poop bits included)
3. I proper try (and often succeed) in being non-judgemental (Again, my Dad talked about this a lot when we were little)
4. I listen as well as my memory allows and I try to see the person I’m talking to, without worrying what I’m gonna say next. It’s easier to really hear someone when you commit to listening intently. Just listening to someone can be a life changing gift to the talker…
6. I respect people. For me this means being willing to listen and learn about someone through sharing story’s and life experiences. It means radically accepting someone, warts and all, even when its someone who thinks totally differently to me, and who believes in all the things I despise
7. I come to all situations with a 2 fold reaction. First, I am honest and real. Second, I have compassion, kindness and love at the front of my mind when I encounter anyone. These 3 words often manifest as listening to someone for a few minutes; giving someone a hug; lending someone a score when they are broke, or emailing your friend a link to something they’re interested in. For me, these interactions with others and with the self, are sacred and divine. Human connection, coming from a place of love (our true nature) is spirituality in action, spiritual beauty, spirituality’s essence
8. I try to make sure there are enough meaningful things happening in my life.
This one is easy because I believe life just happens no matter what you believe. But, if you know that events occur, to give us a chance for us to decide who we are in response to them, the negative ones become as meaningful as the positive… I ask what can I learn from these events/people/opinions? Therefore, even when I am seriously depressed, I find lots of meaning in my days.
9. I am learning to give myself the compassion I afford to others. Not much more to say on that one
10. Learn to constantly see, hear and recognise my connection to God, and the ever-growing pile of evidence that a force of love exists
11. Remember that everyone is at worst…hurt (as opposed to evil). To be loving towards someone who has behaved unloving towards an innocent person, is when we have a chance to see them through ‘Gods Glasses’…If God loves us all unconditionally, who are we to judge anyone else as inferior or superior
13. We are all made up of thoughts, intentions, words and actions. Even if only in thought, we have all been cruel, unjust, shameful, selfish, violent, abusive, malicious and unforgivable, at some point in our life. Now think of a murderer and see that these words are relevant. Also, words do much damage and they have the ability to fuck someones life up for a long time. We really and literally are all as bad as each other. We have the same emotions, human tendencies and weaknesses; as well as this, we also have our inner selves which are truly beautiful. We have all also been at some point:- kind, forgiving, understanding, truthful, gentle, supportive, wise, generous and just spandangaly!
14. I keep on re-forgiving myself. I did something many years ago that I felt guilty about almost daily for ten years. I thought the guilt was my price to pay for hurting someone deeply who I loved. Then I looked at it from a different perspective, I asked myself…do you wanna be on your death-bed and announce that you felt guilty about hurting someone for 50 years? The answer was no!!! At some point we have to forgive ourself
15. I’m kind whenever possible
16. If I can’t be kind, I be tolerant instead
17. I keep re-examining how I feel about certain world problems, because I believe…our passion and purpose lives within these problems. If the issue either excites me or enrages me due to sheer and intolerable injustice, I know I’m passionate about it. If solving the problems it causes (in the old amazing imagination at least) makes my heart sing, I definitely know that I’ve found my passion AND my purpose. Confirmed by my strong desire to improve the situation
18. I do as many things as possible that make me happy… CONSTANTLY…I watch funny movies, stand up artists on dvd, I listen to happy music, I watch uplifting or interestingng informative tv shows…and no watching the news!!!…I know that laughter is part of spiritual bliss. It is the essence of happiness and the sign of an enlightened soul
19. I accept things the way they are in order to gain peace. What I see and feel as inner peace comes from this attitude of acceptance. Accepting things as they are, doesn’t mean settling for situations that bring great harm, without trying to improve things for the people involved. I see myself as equally responsible for making life better in some way (i.e…by giving blood, which takes about 45 minutes, and can literally save a life! This is a great example of the difference little actions can make, the changes that little old me (and you) can make!
20. I keep up my relationship with God. I talk to him either internally or by pen, often, and as usual he always answers. It is truly miraculous to feel his love for me. God makes me feel like the most special person on the planet. He loves me and I bloody love the bones off of him. If you don’t believe in God, but you understand this amazing feeling of being loved, it’s because God is synonymous with Love…Connect most with the love in your life that builds you up, not with those who strip you down…Choose the loving people who see through your sturdy bark and comfort you, encourage you, and show you that the future is a gift for the taking!!!
21. Spirituality is about love. I actively wish, hope and choose to try to be a ‘good thing’ in the lives of those I encounter on my journey. (even if I fail, it is the intention and the action that count). I sorta decided to be like this with people many years ago, before I’d ever contemplated any sort of spirituality…because it is in my nature to be loving, as it is yours (I reckon)
22. I try to remain as open-minded and ‘open soul’d’ as possible, allowing me to recognise psychic phenomena, to be empathic to the point of feeling energy, and to experience miracles that make my soul soar. I once saw one of the most spiritually enlightening life changing visuals appear before my eyes, when I was sitting on the balcony, innocently waiting for the sun to come up.
23. I’m a meditation virgin (or at least ONLY one point further along than virginity, and I have already been transformed into a very spiritual person. I have experienced so many miraculous happenings and moments already…further affirming my knowing that life is infinitely complex and awe inspiring…Imagine what I might experience if I ever get a hold on that elusive ‘self discipline’ malarkey, and meditate for longer!? I’m looking forward to that 🙂
24. I try to see all the good things in my life. When in this ‘zone’ I literally can’t stop listing my blessings, they just keep on coming. I am blessed with eyes that see, legs that allow me to sit like a buddha A LOT! Amazing friends and family, a home, 2 beautiful pussy cats, hot water, bubbles, laughter, God!!!…My mum etc
25. In short…Be nice, love yourself and others, go slowly like a slug, accept life… do your bit to spread goodness when you can